Sunday, March 12, 2006

Some time ago, I mentioned a few things that I was going to share about our time away that I haven't told you about yet. On the whole- it was very good. I can't possibly go into it all here. So, suffice it to say, it was good, we are glad we went. So, that is the overall synopsis... however I feel compelled to say that it was (as is painfully obvious from the previous posts) an unusual trip for us due to unusual mishaps minor and major.

Both my husband and I have traveled a fair amount, but this trip stood out in having an unusually high number of critter run-ins. As I've already mentioned- there was Buffy the vampire cat, and my husband's illness which may have be caused by something mosquito born (the jury is still out on that one.) Here is where I throw in a disclaimer.....disclaimer: I'm sharing about this due to the fact that it seemed unusual, so if you are given to a controlling fear and aversion to creepy crawly critters, then don't let this add fuel to a fear of travelling!

Ok then. When we arrived in our first local, it was a great place. A clean, bright place....but what I noticed upon inspection of the place was a HUGE spider....no......think biggger....... no think bigger....as it sat on the glass of our window the span from one side to the other was about 10 cm....or 4ish inches....neither of us were really scared of it but both of us wanted that thing out of our room! So, my husband was kind enough to somehow get it into a glass and take it outside.

The second thing that we discovered in that room was a thick trail of ants that went from the window in the bathroom along a ledge around the back wall behind the toilet and up over the doorframe. They disappeared into a hole in the doorframe. We didn't even attempt to get rid of them. There were thousands of them. They stuck to their little trail for the most part. And they would disappear during the hottest part of the day, then come back later. So we just ignored them.

The third thing in that place was the hardest to shrug off. I get the willies just thinking about it. One night, we turned out the lights and I flopped down on the pristinely made bed get some shut eye (it was too hot to go under the covers so I just lay down on top of the sheets without disturbing the covers. ) I was laying down for all of about 1 minute when I felt something prickle me. I shot around with a gasp to see what it was and saw this guy zipping away over the side of the bed. (click on it to see picture) Brrrrrrrr! I was out of that bed faster than lightening. (faster than the mouse incident in Winnipeg Karen D) We searched and destroyed that thing. Should have taken a picture of it. It was huge. (we were on ground floor by the way, and there was a huge crack at the bottom of our door, so I think that's where some of our little friends were coming in..)

Later, we went to a different place, no critter incidence. But the third place we went to we also had a night time visitor. There were a lot of little geckos around everywhere. They are these very nice little lizards that eat mosquitos. They don't hurt you or want anything to do with you. Generally they mind their own business. But we did have some in our room that would chirp at night. One night my husband was thrashing around in bed- one of them had fallen off the ceiling onto the foot of the bed in the middle of the night. That gecko will definately be more careful next time.

I can say, while being not super critter tolerant. We still had a very good time. Even with my husband's illness, he would still say it was a good trip.

Ok, gonna go relax now!

1 comment:

The confused foreigner. said...

Thanks so much Kath, I miss you too!!