Friday, March 10, 2006

Classic moments

Just a few odds n ends about things I've enjoyed recently .

I was thinking about this tonight that one of my favourite phrases that I've learned here is, "Hello little friend".... useful. I use it a lot. Since lots of kids stare at, approach , or yell HA-LOW! at me, it's nice to be able to say something to them. Also, lots of people with babies respond really warmly to me if I talk to their baby. So I say "Hello little friend" (usually with raised eyebrows and high pitched voice) and then the mom, dad or grandparent will say "Say hello to auntie!" (They call everybody auntie and uncle here)

A favourite moment the other day was riding my bike with a friend. We were coming home from something that we had been out doing and we happened upon a strawberry cart. That in itself was fun, but get this- the strawberries were $1.40 Cdn for 3 pounds. Amazing. Anway,as we were pulling away, I hear this commotion behind me, this girl laughing. She had walked into this massive pole, but wasn't hurt. I think she walked into it because she was staring at me. Ah, that gave me a chuckle.

Some friends of ours just had a baby. He's about 2 months old right now, I've seen him twice. Huge kiddo. (For here that is) I got to hold him for the first time this week. Oh it was fun! And for some reason he smiles for me. Apparently I'm the only person he's smiley with. I consider myself greatly blessed in this. Apparently I'm also the first person he's peed on. Can't say that that is such a blessing, but hey, I guess he's comfortable with me.

Wednesday was International Women's Day. I recieved a stem of stargazer lilies and a free dinner. Canadian women, I'm telling ya, we gotta get on this international women's day thing. Here there are big sales in stores, restaurants often offer deals, and some people get time off. Some Russian girls in my class said that Russians get a 3 day holiday. At least that's what I think they were saying. Why don't we do more?

Ok, well, I'm going to go now, I need to go do some baking, before it gets too late.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can picture you talking to the kids like that. teehee. Wait till you see my sister when you get back.
Amy

The confused foreigner. said...

I bet she looks so grown up now!
She'll probably be reciting monologues by the time we get back!

Anonymous said...

Oh...believe me...she's long past that point...we've got another nathan on our hands. *wink*
Amy