Monday, October 10, 2005

Even the egg cart lady has a card

So, a few weeks ago I was on my way to meet a friend at the grocery store, and I was running a little behind (yeah, very unlike me - I know ...heh heh.) As I'm hoofing it along, this lady rides up to me on her bike...offering me a ride on the back! It took me a moment but I realized she was one of the Egg cart ladies. I didn't recognize her right away, out of the egg cart context, but it was her. (The other egg cart lady doesn't really care when I go by but this lady always greets me... unfortunately most of the time I can't understand what she's saying. She has a strong accent when she speaks and lets face it, my language ability is still fairly low... I usually guess at what she's saying by how she's gesturing, and respond accordingly.)

But, anyway, on with the story... so she rides up to me and offers me a lift. Who can turn that up? So this dear lady doubled me on her bike for about a block! I could not believe it- who would do that in North America beyond Junior High school age? (Also probably not so legal in N. America) I thought it was quite nice of her.

At the corner intersection we parted as she was heading in a different direction, but before she biked off she pulled out her card and gave it to me! The Egg Cart Lady has a card! Of course I couldn't read it, so I don't know what it was for really.... probably not a card for making eggy things. It just goes to show, you never know what people have on the go.

There are a lot of people here who live in poverty. And many of them have jobs, like working an egg cart. But you know..... when the Egg Cart lady pulls out a card and gives it to you, times are changing that's for sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oops, I clicked on the wrong one...just pretend this is a comment for all three seen as though I'm in the middle. :D You, run behind??!! Never...that's amazing!!!!!! (wink) i found another person who loves while you were sleeping!! I was at a friends for supper and his mom was like, "these mashed potatoes are so creamy" and the rest of her family was like, "what?!" and she's like, "oh nothing, just a line from a movie" and i was like, "while you were sleping!?" and ya, it was pretty funny. then she said it again and i was like, "mary mashed them" Heehee. Good times. Anyways, I should run. My mom is at my parent teacher interviews right now and she'll be home soon with heather. So, I'll talk to you later!!!! --ames--