Sunday, August 20, 2006

"I foreigner, bring water"

We don't drink the tap water here. At least not unless it's been seriously boiled.

So, in light of that fact, we have to order water. This morning when I got up, I asked my husband: "What are the questions the lady asks you again when you phone for water?"
It's my experience that the people you order the water from talk so fast that some sentances are a complete mystery to me. I can understand "what's your address?" but that's about it.

My husband replied : When they answer you say "I want water." Then they will ask you for your water number. Then you say "I don't have one" then they will say "What? You don't have a water number? Something something something something something something." Then you say "I'm sorry, I am a foreigner. I don't speak the language. My address is .......................please bring 2 jugs." Then they'll bring the water.

You can get away with a lot as a foreigner. As frustrating as it is to not understand a lot of what's going on, in one way it makes life simpler.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the new look!!! :D
Ames

deb said...

ha ha haa... that's so great. with each challenge, there's always an opportunity to learn or find a brighter side. way to make an opportunity out of a challenge.

The confused foreigner. said...

:)Hey Ames thanks! I decided it was time for a change...

Hey there Deb,
yah, I made the call just after writing the post. THere was a new girl working, so she and I were both very confused! Then she put on a veteran at dealing with us, and it was very simple. :)
Yah, If I got all in a fluff everytime I couldn't understand something I'd be a walking ball of stress.
Hope the new year is shaping up well!