Friday, November 04, 2005

My Book Corner

I do a lot more reading now than I used to. It used to (generally) take me a long long time to finish one book... now although not a voracious reader, I do go through a number of books per year. I really enjoy reading and it helps keep me a thinking person. And an encouraged person. (Yes language learning does stimulate the brain but its in the same way over and over again...and it gets exhausting sometimes..so it's nice to read and learn something in my own language.)

I was thinking about my favourite books..... over the years, ones that made a difference in the way I see the world, ones that I keep going back to, ones that were fun.... ones that I should recommend more to others.... I decided to list some of them ....in categories.... here they are....

Books that really encouraged me:
-In the Eye of the Storm- Max Lucado (Karyn H gave me this book as a birthday gift! THANKS! Good for anyone who is tired, busy or going through something difficult)
-Sacred Romance- John Eldredge and Brent ____(sorry his name escapes me just now)
-The Fragrance of Beauty -Joyce Landorf (my mom gave me this book when I was a teenager and I read it multiple times.... )
-Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ- John Piper (I think I should read this again, when I read part of it the first time I was deathly ill (fever, cough, blah's..) so I think I would enjoy it even more if I read it again.
-The Power of a Praying Woman- Stormie Omartian... Looks at prayer but also looks at having a right heart before God as well.
-My Heart Christ's Home- Robert Munger...a very little book, but huge message about letting God transform our hearts and lives and enjoying His friendship and Lordship!
-Becoming a Woman of Excellence- Cynthia Heald, It's a Bible study that I've done multiple times, sooo good! It's safe to say that I am a Cynthia Heald fan, I love the way she comes at topics!
Know Why You Believe- Paul E. Little. Good intellectual reaons to believe. Quick read.
More Than A Carpenter- Josh MacDowell - Also about why it's reasonable intellectually to believe in Jesus. Also a quick read.
Evidence That Demands A Verdict- Josh MacDowell- I've only read part of it, but is also along that same theme, but more indepth.
Must reads for every Christian (In my humble opinion):
-Victory Over the Darkness-Neil Anderson (good words for knowing who you are and how to walk victoriously as a Christian!)
-Bondage Breaker- Neil Anderson (Breaking free of spiritual strongholds)
-The Master Plan of Evangelism- Robert Coleman(How Jesus went about fulfilling His purpose while walking here on earth....)
-When God Speaks - Henry and Richard Blackaby
-Faith is Not a Feeling- Ney Bailey (Principals and stories from her life about walking in faith...)
- The Case for Faith - Lee Strobel- Excellent book looking at intellectual questions about belief, questions like - "If God is good why it there evil and suffering"etc.... He sought out leading theologians and philosophers to answer these questions. Highly recommend this book.

Current Reads:
Captivating- John and Stasi Eldredge (good book about how God sees and values women- a question that has been on my heart for a few years..)
When God Speaks- Henry and Richard Blackaby- good principals about how to discern the voice of God in our lives...it's hitting home with me right now, I think I would put it on the must read list too....
Lineage of Grace -Francine Rivers - wow, this is the first Christian fiction book I've read in years, and I must say I was caught off guard at how drawn into it I've been. It looks at different women from the Bible and tells the story from what might have been their point of view.... really thought provoking and gives cultural insights which really help understand the stories)
That I May Know Him- Kay Arthur and David Lawson- A guide to study Philippians and Colossians Inductively, (I'm just doing Philippians for now) finding it helpful, it's walking me step by step through the Inductive Bible Study method, which helps keep me doing it...and it has some of their insights as well.

I LOVE biographies.... some good ones I've read:
Lords of the Earth- Don Richardson..(this one was recommended to me by the Cain children..they were reading it with their parents!)
The Hiding Place: The Corrie TenBoom story....I don't know who wrote it, but it's a classic. Corrie Ten Boom was a Dutch Christian who along with her dad and sister hid Jewish people in their house to keep them safe during WW2.....they got caught and she and multiple family members went to prison. She and her sister later ended up in a concentration camp. It's her story of trusting God through it all.
The Five Silent Years of Corrie Ten Boom- Looks at the end years of her life as she suffered a number of strokes....and trusting God through that too.
Dream Big (Bio about Henrietta Miers)- (author?) Although she died in the 60's her influence is still being felt all over the world. An amazing woman!
Mission Possible - Marilyn Laszlo ....cool story of God working! She's a pretty cool woman too!
Eternity in Their Hearts- Don Richardson - I've only read parts of it, but it puts a cool informative spin on the way God has been working in the world over the years

Very Practical:
Organized Living- Sandra Felton...a great book for disorganized people, written by someone else who is disorganized.....

Favourite Children's Book:
The Giving Tree- Shel Silverstein- (Introduced to me by my friend Nancy McHenry, it took me awhile before I could read it without getting all choked up, or totally disolving into a sobbing mess)
You are Special- Max Lucado- A great children's book for adults too.

Other Popular Books that others recommend that I would like to read at some point:
The Purpose Driven Life- Rick Warren- nope I've never read it. But it is on the shelf.
What's So Amazing about Grace- Philip Yancy - heard very good reviews on it, but haven't read it yet....
The Case for Christ- Lee Strobel -similar idea to Case for Faith but specifically about answering the tough questions about who Christ really was.
How People Grow by Henry Cloud

Currently On the Upcoming Roster:
Humility- Andrew Murray - self explanatory

I know I've missed some significant books- I just couldn't think of them all and I've intentionally left a few off here. I've also read some great secular novels in recent years too. But I've listed a lot above already....

But I'd be interested to know if you have any Recommendations? What are you reading??

No comments: