Sunday, April 15, 2007

Did I do that?

Tonight, M and I left our apartment and rounded the corner. There was a back hoe driving down the lane. Just behind it some boys, maybe about 10 years old were quite fascinated with it. That's pretty typical no? The problem was that they were getting too close to the moving treds, putting things on the treds even as it was moving. I was afraid they were going to get pinned between it and the curb or somehow get under it. Both M and I were very nervous watching them.

The most aggressive boy started going towards the far side of the back hoe where there was about half a foot between the machine and the curb- a very dangerous place to be, especially because i don't think the driver could see them... and you know what, I just couldn't take it. I couldn't. So I took hold of the kid's arm before he could go behind the back hoe, and re directed him in the opposite direction away from it, and basically said "no" to him.

M and I started walking away, and then we looked back and saw that the back hoe had rounded the corner but the kids weren't going away, they were still trying to mess with it.... and then the cab started rotating and it looked like the one kid might get hit.... it gave my heart a start.

Without thinking I started running toward the 3 boys, and their eyes got a little saucer-like. That's right kid. Foreign woman running staight at you! You know, when your adrenalin is pumping, it's hard to speak in a language that's not your first. But I think the shaking finger at them and the back hoe and emphatically saying "It's not safe!!!" got the message across.

The moral of the story is: It's better to be frightened by a crazy foreign lady than squished by a back hoe.

3 comments:

tman said...

And it's better to be pulled back by spaghetti arms than run over on College Drive by a city bus... You've always been a hero, K!

The confused foreigner. said...

Ha ha ha ha hah ha ha ... oh my, how funny. That's a vivid memory. A little bit Wile E. Coyote that one, don't you think so? With the combination of the ice, the dress shoes and bus hurtling around that corner.

Anonymous said...

Are you actually still across the pond? Where are you? I miss you...haven't heard from you in a long time. :( Send an email my way when you have a chance.
Lots of love,
Ames
P.S. I'm looking forward to June!!!