Monday, March 12, 2007

The Fashion Report

Today I went shopping with a local friend.

Well, she shopped, I just looked at stuff and tried not to give too much of my opinion of various fashions.

This is an interesting place fashion wise. A few short years ago people were much too preoccupied with just trying to survive to worry about fashion. Now people in general have more disposable income, so fashion is now in. (Even more amazing is that I just read an article this morning about the new cosmetic surgery craze here.)

So, today was interesting. My friend took me to a place that I've never really investigated before- a big market of fairly cheap but decent quality clothes. Shop after shop, shirts, jackets, sweaters, and pants.

Now, what people like to wear here is often different from North America. And there's nothing wrong with that. (At some point I will give my N. America fashion rant...) ANyway- in my opinion, and I say this by western standards, some things that I see people wearing are really stylish- smart looking! It's fairly common actually to see people wearing a fantastic looking ensemble on their bike on the way to work in the morning.

Some other outfits are almost there, often the crucial thing that sinks a perfectly good outfit here is an addition of some random huge thing stuck audaciously on the front of it- ie) a big lacey flower, a massive bow of contrasting colour, gobs of fur stuck in various arrangements, or a mass of sequins and feathers. It gives me this urge to just take a pair of scissiors and snip! "there, now I feel better"

Another category of things people wear is the way over the top crazy outfits. These can not be described. They usually do involve lots of colour, and are often accompanied by crazy hair and for some reason green eye shadow. I'm still debating posting a fashion file just devoted to these UFOs.. "Unbelievable Fashion Objects."

Then there's all the other stuff that people wear, that's just somewhere in the middle. Just comfortable stuff that is sort of non descript.

The reason I said at the beginning of this post that I tried to hold back my opinion, is that I realize that I have very different taste from my friend. I might not like something simply because it doesn't look western enough for my taste, and so, I don't think that makes me a good fashion adviser for her.

With that being said she did pick out some nice stuff, well all except the purse, but that was one of those really big purses that are the rage all over the world and look like they were rejected from the 80's for being far too ugly. (Don't ever ask me if I like your really really big ugly trendy 80's purse- especially if it cost you a lot of money and Lindsay Lohan or one of the Olson Twins is carrying the exact same one and you had to take out a loan to pay for it....because I'll just tell you right now, I think they are all horrible. ) I didn't mind my friend buying the ugly 80's purse though as I do recognise that others don't share my replusion (and probably a few of you reading this just bought one of your own- and by all means buy, enjoy, think it's cute, but please, don't wreck your back and I repeat - don't ask me what I think of it.)

As we were walking around, it was fun looking at all the clothes. I rarely go shopping for clothes here. And rarely means just about never. But I really do like going shopping. It's fun to buy new clothes, even if they aren't for me. So, it was a nice outing, looking at what's "in" here... and being reminded of how things are changing in this place. I was also reminded as we were walking around that "clothes don't make the person"... and that thought came as a sudden relief, and a little saddness. Relief of pressure to pick the perfect items for my friend. But saddness as I realize that the new financial freedom that people are gaining here is giving them a false sense of what's really important, people are much more concerned with their image, their look... a new superficiality is taking over the land, a superficiality that we are well aquainted with in the west. And I couldn't help but be a little bit sad.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. And I think another thing with the whole fashion gong show is that we are so worried about what people will think when they see us. When, in reality, all they think about when they see us is their own flaws and how much better we are than them.

At supper my brother mentioned how he never winks very often. That reminded me of you. Remember why? I used to sit in church and write down how many times you blinked and what time you put your hair behind your ear, and all those fun things!!! :D It made me giggle.

Much love, for you and for the school! :)

ames

Tiffany said...

I can just see you wandering around the streets with your own fashion police scissors, clipping off random pieces of fur and excessive bejewelling on unsuspecting locals. I'd love to be there and be the spectator/announcer. It could turn into some sort of national sport, eventually people would be deliberately putting things on (from feathers, to enormous plastic flowers, to small stuffed animals) just so you could cut them off.
You make me smile :)

The confused foreigner. said...

I think people here would really go for that as a new TV show. I think they'd think the whole idea quite hysterical. Although we'd probably have to reimburse people for all the feathers, fur and random material swags that we clip. A small price to pay.

Ha ha- and you'd make the perfect narrator for the show.

The confused foreigner. said...

Oh and Ames, Yes I do remember the counting of the eye blinks! I think you counted the number of times that I yawned too!
I had to watch myself, as I remember you showing me a report of these things after Church!
Hope you are doing great!!
:)K