Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Who are the People in your Neighbourhood?

Well, the flowers were sure no buffer. 6 am this morning, loud talking, yelling, dog's fighting...the flowers did not make one iota of difference. The voices are too loud and piercing, I guess the voices don't need to be standing right by our door to cut through the wall and wake us up.

One of the voices is (I guess) this lady that makes take out breakfast from a little cart, on the corner....other voices are some of the retired ladies who sit around outside our house at various times of the day and gab and say to us when we walk by "Going out?" and we nod or say "Going out."

The other voice is the lady at the corner store (literally 10 steps from our door).... I can always pick out her voice.... she spends most of the day outside her store visiting with people and serving the customers that come and go. She has a habit of making her daughter come speak english with me when I go in there. I don't mind the idea of speaking english with her teenage daughter....but the fact is, her daughter doesn't want to speak english to ME. So I have to stand there while the mom and daughter argue about her speaking english to me......"Speak!" ....no reply.... "speak" ... no reply....mother swats daughter on the arm "speak english!" ...whining..... it goes nowhere.... One time she even tried to get her daughter to talk to me by calling me a teacher, "Speak english to the teacher!" To which I replied, "I'm not a teacher, I'm a student" She replied by giving me that tilt of the head and look out of the corner of her eye that says " Shhhhhhh! " I actually wish I could speak fluently with the store lady, I think she'd be a fun friend. She seems like a character......But I do wish she wouldn't be such a character outside our apartment at 6 am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I find your blog is really neat! Gives me a really good idea of your day to day life. Good for you!
M from CR