Sunday, January 06, 2008

2007 Special Moments and People Awards

And the award goes to:

The Who sent you? Award:
To the two minority ladies with their beautiful hair, and lovely dresses, who gave me a seat when I had none.
To the two gentlemen who popped up out of the blue to help me and Little E with our great big bags, down the stairs and up again, on the train and off the train.
To the man who went to get the store security when my locker was jammed and couldn't get it open.
To various strangers who offered language help in a moment of confusion.
To the gracious taxi drivers, store vendors, and people in general who have offered their help, pleasant curiousity, and smiles.....
This award's for you.


The Luckiest person to walk away without being punched in the nose Award:

Picture me, on a train, no seat, just standing there leaning against one of the seats, swaying with the train. A man starts up a conversation with me- it goes like this:
Initial chit chat, where are you from... etc... (in english)

Man: Foreigners are often fat and don't look beautiful.
Me: (No response)
Man: Yes Foreign women are often fat and don't look beautiful. I sell underwear that makes women look beautiful.
Me: Oh.
Man:(showing me pictures of a local lady who is not particularly fat, just normal) See? Pictures. Before, see? This lady not beautiful.
Me: Ok.
Man:(showing me a second set of pictures.) See, after...beautiful!
Man:Foreign women are often fat and not beautiful.
Man: (showing me pictures of the woman in her amazing beautifying underwear) See, after, beautiful!
Me: (Waving my hand in the air and laughing) Ok, ok ok.
Man:Ok. (and he left me alone. except to ask if I could sing, and to tell that he could sing well.)

Cutest Student Award:
This is a hard one, as I have a lot of really neat people in my classes. Really. Cool people. But in the end, the award goes to the girl who out of the blue gave me this Little Bubu stuffed bear.... because, I'm not even her teacher anymore. She was sooooo sweet about it. And she got my white elephant gift during a gift exchange- this green candle that wasn't particularly pretty, but she was absolutely thrilled and made it known that no one should try to steal it from her. I was particularly surprised because I was strict with that class. I even confiscated her ipod during one class. Go figure. She gets the cutest student award, for her sweet spirit.



Most Awkward Moment with a Stranger Award

In May, M and I went back to Canada for some rest. On the plane ride back we were really tired. Over tired I'd say. We had seats in the middle section. There were a number of empty seats throughout the plane- one of them next to us. Yahoo! This seemed like such a nice perk, because I could lie down if I wanted to... AHHHHH. We could spread out just a bit.
The couple in front of us had the same luxury. The man in front of us was watching the movie and his wife had curled up on the seats next to him.
The guy sitting to our right in the section by the window saw something askew however.
I was still sitting up, just thinking of lying down.....
Helpful man from the window section approaches us in the dim cabin...

Man:"The man in front of you is a little bit squished by the man who is in front of him who is reclining. I'd like to move him into this seat next to you."
(I surveyed the situation and didn't feel he needed to move back, all he had to do was switch seats with his wife who was lying down...and I didn't want to give up that seat!!!)
Me:"I prefer no."
Man:"Oh, do you speak english? Is this your seat? This man is looking uncomfortable, and I would like to move him back here."
Me:"Yes I speak english. He has an extra seat too, he only needs to move over.So I prefer no."
Man:" Oh, maybe you don't understand me..." and he repeats the situation and he sees it."
Me:" No I prefer no."

That was the end of discussion, this man was really sincerely trying to be helpful- he wasn't in any way rude through our conversation... but his solution wasn't necessary. After a few minutes the other man moved over on his own volition. Problem solved. But I hate confrontation, and saying no, and so I couldn't sleep for a long time after that. I was a bit disgruntled with that guy for awhile. And why did he think I don't speak english? I realize my grammar wasn't exactly correct,"I prefer not" is better than "I prefer no" but good grief. Awkward.

The Happy Back Award

For my back because for about 80% of the year it has really been pleasant to be with.

Inspiration Award
Goes to Louisa Vaughan, who though not a woman of fame, and having been dead many years, inspired me this year through her book full of stories of God's amazing answers to her prayers. Wow. Blew my socks off.

Husband of Character Award
Goes to M. You really rose to the occasion this year. What would I do without you?

People of resilience award

Over the last few years I've been hearing stories of friends, and strangers in this country who go through such heart rending stuff. It makes you wonder why people here aren't basket cases.

A few examples (which didn't all happen this year but things with this level of drama are happening here still):

One young woman we know- her mother passed away- she was washing a comforter in the river and the current took the big blanket away and the mother with it, she didn't know how to swim so she began drowning. She was pulled out, still alive. There was a doctor there, he refused to help her until someone could guarentee payment. There was no one from her family there so no one would guarentee payment. She died.

Another guy we know: He is now an adult,and should have a younger brother but his mother was forced to have an abortion in her 8th month by local officials.

Another friend of ours: his Dad spent time in jail this year...

The stories go on and on. These kinds of things happen every year. The things you hear curl your toes. Injustice, corruption, health issues, bad health system, cheating..... but through all of it, the people keep on going. Their stories seem so dramatic, and yet they keep on going. So, because of that they get the 2007 People of Resilience Award.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my favourite was your award for your back. :)
-ames

Anonymous said...

And the "blog-that-always-brings-a-smile-to-my-heart" award goes to...

YOU!! The Confused Foreigner. ;)

Miss ya!

~ purple gal

The confused foreigner. said...

THanks ladies ! Miss you both!